Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Inertia, Both Friend and Foe

In science we learn, that because of inertia, it takes some force to change an object’s motion.  Whether you want it to get going or you want it to stop, you need a force.  I also need a little force to overcome my own inertia.  Ben Stein said, “So many fail because they don't get started - they don't go. They don't overcome inertia. They don't begin.”  For me, the hardest part of a new routine, exercising, cooking a healthy dinner or any change is overcoming the inertia and getting started.


Like my students, I have had to learn about overcoming and using inertia through experimentation.

If I’m comfortable in bed and it’s dark outside and I could sleep an extra hour, it isn’t easy to get up early and exercise.  If I’ve been teaching 7th & 8th graders all day, and driven through traffic, and I’m just plain tired, it isn’t easy to prepare a healthy meal.  If I usually laze around in my pj’s on Sunday, or walk the shortest route to my destination, or eat Mac & Cheese when I’ve had a bad day, it isn’t easy to change those routines into healthier routines.

At first light of dawn, I need to be exercising not sleeping.

But one thing I have found, is that once I get started, it is easier to keep going.  If I get up and immediately put on my exercise clothes and shoes and force myself to begin, I normally finish my exercise routine.  If I’ve plan ahead and I start fixing dinner BEFORE I sit down, we are more likely to eat healthy meals rather than unhealthy “pick-up” meals.  For me, the trick is to force myself to begin, and then, my inertia works for me and I keep going in the new direction.

I have found I can establish new healthy routines and keep them going.  It takes a lot of force in the beginning and it hasn’t ever become easy for me (at least not yet) but once the new routines become patterns in my life, (and I’ve worked out all the difficulties), I can establish healthy habits.

This week's recipe shows how I need to plan ahead if I'm going to continue my new healthy routines.  The advantages of this recipe is that once all the prep is done it's easy and it's super healthy and it is easily made into a meal-to-go.  The disadvantage - there is a lot of "front-loading".  

This week's recipe is Sausage, Roasted Veggies, & Grain.
Not always pretty, but always a very healthy and delicious meal.

Step 1:  Prepare Grains.  Luckily for me I have a rice maker and I have discovered rice makers work for lots of grain.  I prepare brown rice, quinoa, wheat bulgar, barley, Kashi, buckwheat - a couple of different grains per week.   I place 1/2 cup of the grain into baggies and freeze.

Step 2:  I chop a lot of different vegetables - squash, zucchini, cauliflower, sweet potato, peppers, onion, celery - what ever I've got.  I place them on cooking sheets sprayed with cooking spray and sprinkle veggies with Mrs. Dash's Herb Blends (no salt).  Roast in oven until soft and speckled with brown.  Place in containers in fridge.

Step 3:  Prepare 2 ounce vegan sausage (I use Lightlife) patties, which I bake in the oven until brown, then store in fridge.

Preparing recipe is now easy - Place all ingredients (grain of choice, veggies, crumbled soy sausage patty, and a little vegan cheese) in tin foil with cooking spray.  Pop in toaster oven while I'm exercising and I have a very healthy breakfast.  And if I'm running late, I can take it with me.  It's almost as easy as pouring a bowl of cereal - except for the massive amounts of prep I had to do.

Here’s what I think is unfair.  It takes a tremendous amount of effort and concentration and repeated practice and time - for me to establish these healthy routines.  But it only takes a few mistakes – some missed mornings of exercise, a few too many treats, too many days of overwork and under planning – and boom, my healthy habits have disappeared! 

I have to be careful, or the "this is a special occasion", the "just this once treat", the "missed because of a really good reason exercise session" can become the rule instead of the exception and then I lose the positive inertia that helps me move forward.

On Earth, objects eventually stop.  There are just too many forces acting on the objects for them to keep them moving.  Maybe in the past, forces & bad habits have worked against my healthy routines.  But I have a new determination and it is possible to overcome inertia, it is possible to establish healthy routines, and it is possible to reach goals.  Currently, I’m not sure how to sustain these routines and goals long term but at least I’ve got started and my inertia (an object in motion stays in motion!) is working for me.

So how have I’ve been doing on my goals...

Eating and exercise – successful this week.  And, I’ve lost 2 more pounds. Yea!  I have also noticed less pain and more energy, which I’m going to need as soon as school starts.

Last Week's Weight

This Week's Weight












I am reading the book: The Power of Rest: Why Sleep Alone is Not Enough by Matthew Edlund, M.D.  I think that being rested and rejuvenated during the day is essential to feeling positive and peaceful.  I’ve only read the first chapter but many of the physical things I’m doing are helping me feel more  “up” both physically and mentally.  Of course, the real test will come after school starts but maybe I’ll find even more help in the remaining nine chapters. 

As for school, I’m trying to use my time wisely.  I went to school for a few mornings on my own time so I wouldn’t have to feel rushed.  My room is ready and hopefully, I am too.

The gardens were amazing this week – so green, so fresh – again,I felt so connected with the world when I was walking.  It gave me that peaceful and happy feeling I formally associated with a religious experience and it didn’t come with any guilt or crushing responsibilities.

A change this week - the arbor was set for a wedding.

Last Week - Closed Bud
This Week - Flowers












Last Week
This Week



















Favorite Picture - Busy Bees on a Sunflower





No comments:

Post a Comment