Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Vegan Fried Chicken Salad and Making a Lunch

In 1 week, I will be walking these hall with hundreds of middle school students.

I like teaching.  I like my students.  I like my job.  I hate having to make a lunch everyday!  I know it's a little thing - I teach teenagers and the one thing that bugs me is making a lunch to take to work.  Even when I write it, I know it's silly but I guess everyone has their little bug-a-boos - mine is making lunch.  So this year, we're trying something different and it starts with dinner.  While making dinner, we immediately pack up the leftovers for lunch or we use the elements from dinner to make lunch.  I have to plan and make sure there are leftovers but we have to clean up from dinner anyway so we feed two birds with one scone (the vegan appropriate saying:).

Last night we made a delicious "Fried Chicken" salad and then used the leftovers to create sandwich wraps for lunch.

First the Salad:  Begin by baking Gardien's 7-grain Crispy Tenders and Sautéing pepper, onion, yellow squash, and zucchini strips in 1 TB of Oil.
Spray pan with a little cooking spray and follow directions on package.
We cooked them in the toaster oven because it was too hot to turn on the oven.
Sauté onion, peppers (we used pasilla), yellow squash, & zucchini.
When veggies and slightly tender, remove from heat and add frozen corn.

Putting the Salad Together:
Start with fresh greens.

Top with fresh veggies: we used carrots, cucumbers, radishes, jicama, & cherry tomatoes.

Add Salad Dressing, We used the Chipolte Sour Cream Dressing.
Add the cooked veggies.

Add extras: Daiya Pepper Jack, olives, and jalapeños.  Then top with 5 of crispy tenders.

And now to make lunch:  All we need to add is whole wheat tortillas and use the fillings to create Vegan "Chicken" tender wraps.  Start with a tortilla, add the lettuce, some cooked and raw veggies, and a little sauce.  Wrap and lunch is ready.

Wrap filled with the leftovers from Salad Ingredients.
Took about 3 minutes and lunch is wrapped and ready to go!
Lunch is ready.  Now I just have to clean my class room, arrange all the desks, put up bulletin boards, prepare lessons, and make copies of everything we need for the first week.  It's a piece of cake (or a chicken wrap) now that I have lunch made.

No comments:

Post a Comment