Monday, August 16, 2010

My New Year Starts in September



As a teacher, the start of a new year for me has always been September.  By the end of August, I make my plans, my resolutions, and my goals.  I have spent this summer reflecting, cleaning-up, getting organized, making decisions, and basically “getting my act together”.  I tried to get rid of the “stuff” that hasn’t worked – all of the physical stuff, mental stuff, emotional stuff, teaching stuff that didn’t really serve me well during the last year. 

My Shredder has been hard at work – getting rid of the old papers I don’t need anymore.  Too bad it isn’t as easy to shred the emotional and mental crap I’ve stored up as well.



I tried to make note of the “stuff” that did work so I can hold onto it and use it again.  I looked for new “stuff” that will make this year better than the last.  It isn’t easy!  Sometimes the old stuff feels really safe and comfortable even if it really didn’t help and sometimes was NOT good for me (like working all weekend and eating huge helpings of Tatter Tot Casserole). And the new ideas, they seem difficult and uncertain.

Can exercise really make me feel as happy as a big plate of Nachos?.

I have been "experimenting with life decisions this summer but summer is waning.
The Descanso Gardens – still green but the flowers are disappearing.  Summer is disappearing too.  And I need to make decisions before fall arrives




I’ve decided to be a healthy, energetic person.  I had a health scare – I went to a doctor and I want (need) to be healthier.  I’ve made a decision to eat vegan and healthy.  I’ve been a vegetarian for about 15 years but vegan is new.  I’m trying to lose weight – a lot of weight, which is not new but it is a new try.  I’m exercising.  I read that it is important to like the new habits you are establishing.  So I’m looking for ways to make eating healthy and exercising fun for me.

Recipe of the Week: Avocado-Tofu Dressing/Dip 
(A great way to make raw veggies a treat!)
Ingredients:
½ carton Nori-Mu Lite Firm Tofu (aseptic pack)
1 ripe avocado
large handful of cilantro
2 green onions, chopped in large pieces
1 clove of garlic
½ - 1 jalapeño pepper (personal choice – how hot do you want it)
juice of 2-3 limes
1 tsp of agave syrup
¼ - ½ cup water (begin with ¼ cup and keep adding until you get the consistency you want)
salt to taste

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.


I’ve decided to be a more positive, peaceful, kind person and I want to do this without fear, superstition, or religion.  I have not been to church in over a year (after being VERY religious for most of my life). But now I not only want to leave organized religion, I want to leave behind all my superstitious beliefs and fears.  I’ve decided to grow as a person using my own decisions, my beliefs, and my morals.  I read that Billy Graham said:  “a true atheist has no real reason to believe in right and wrong or to behave sacrificially toward others” and “On the outside, she may seem self-sufficient and indifferent toward God — but inside she may be spiritually empty and searching for inner peace”.  I want to find out if I can be happy, and peaceful, and giving towards others, without a god or religion in my life.



Descanso Gardens – early Sunday morning - Aug 15, 2010 – I’ve made a goal to watch the garden (and me) change through the year. 
 I’ve decided to be a more balanced teacher.  I want to be the best teacher I can be but I don’t want to sacrifice my health and “my life” to teaching.  I want to prepare my students for “THE TEST” but I don’t want to sacrifice essential learning for mere details.  I want to work efficiently – planning, and grading papers, and disciplining and getting students to do their work, but I don’t want to forget that teaching isn’t just about covering standards, or controlling students, or preparing grades.  I have decided to care as much about my students and their futures as I do about standards and test scores.

Teaching hasn’t been very balanced in my life.  It’s been exciting and fulfilling but it has overwhelmed my life.



Normally, if I start a trip, I know every destination, every road I will take, every hotel and every site I will visit.  I’ve “googled” the cities, the restaurants, the destinations, and the weather and made many copies and notes.  I don’t know how to do that on this journey.  So instead, I have some general goals and a basic direction and I’m moving forward.  And once a week, I will blog.











No comments:

Post a Comment